My mornings are usually rushed (I exercise, eat, and then head to the office, all before 9am), and the last thing I want to worry about is what I’m going to eat for breakfast! I’m a creature of habit, so I made the same breakfast almost daily, depending on the time of year. I have one go-to breakfast for spring/summer (a smoothie), and one for fall/winter (oats). This simple overnight oats recipe is my go-to breakfast for the fall/winter! It takes under 1 minute to prepare, lasts for 2-3 days and is plant based. Plus, it fills me up and fuels me for long days at the office and teaching fitness classes!
- 1/3 cup Quaker oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk (my favourite is Elmhurst, or Earth’s Own for a more budget friendly option)
- 1/2 cup blueberries and/or raspberries (frozen or fresh, though I like frozen because I can buy them in bulk)
- 1 tsp ground flaxseeds (they need to be ground for your body to absorb the benefits!)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Optional add-ins: Cacao nibs, coconut yogurt, nut butter to taste
- Combine oats, milk, berries, ground flaxseeds, turmeric & cinnamon (pro tip: if you know you’ll be in a rush, combine ingredients in a mason jar, so you can grab it from the fridge quickly without thinking before walking out the door and heading to work!)
- Cover and then refrigerate overnight (approximately 6-8 hours)
- Top with optional toppings outlined above, serve and enjoy!
On the days you crave something warm and have a bit more time (aka. on weekends!) , you can also make this simple overnight oats recipe so it’s ready on the spot by combining all ingredients and heating up in the microwave. And if you sip a coffee at the same time, it’s pure heaven!